Tuesday 21 November 2017

A Number

Our culture has really done a number on us.
As my eldest daughter is preparing to speak to a group of Brownies about "disability" I realized how entrenched even the church has become in the thinking preached by our modern society.

It is tempting when sharing with someone about disability, to share all the things we can do. "Hey, I'm blind, but this is what I do..." And then list all the activities and great things I am involved in and capable of.

Do you see the problem here?

It's subtle and has infiltrated our whole society.
The problem is that we define worth and value by what we have the ability to do and contribute.

Untrue.

Our worth and value come because we are human, created in the image of God.

Having  this Biblical perspective then, explains why we should not euthanize a 90 year old laying in a nursing home, or abort a baby that has screened for Down Syndrome. 
We are not cats that get "put down" when disabled, old, in pain, and have no further hope of living.
We are not animals.
We are human 
We are not just a number.
We are God's image bearers.

Luke 12:6,8
Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins?And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Psalm139:13, 14
 For You created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

No comments:

Post a Comment